US Soccer Grassroots Referee Course
The Grassroots Referee Course is specific to the recreational and competitive youth game. This is an entry-level course for new referees. This course consists of online modules in the US Soccer Learning Center that must be completed by the candidate prior to the in-person or online video classroom and field session.
How to Become a USSF Grassroots Referee
- Requirement – you must be 13 or older.
- There is two-part process that must be completed to become a licensed USSF Grassroots Referee.
- Sign up for a Grassroots online course. You will pay the fee when you sign up.
Part 1 – Sign up for the Grassroots Online Lessons via North Texas Soccer Referee Page – OMS
There are 21 modules in the online portion. All 21 modules must be completed in full. The online lessons take approximately 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours to complete in full.
Part 2 – Select an in-person clinic to attend
Once you complete the entire online lessons, you’ll be able to select an in-person clinic to go to on OMS. You will see the words – ONLINE LESSONS COMPLETED highlighted in green to know that you can select the in-person clinic you wish to attend. The in-person clinic is 3.5 hours. This is the field session done outdoors. Lots of important information is given to all attendees – who you will work for, how to get games, where to get uniforms, etc. You must complete both parts in order to become a referee.
In the drop down menu
1. Select – Entry Never been a USSF Referee before
2. Select – Grassroots Referee Online Lessons
4. Start/finish the online lessons
Once you complete the online lessons you will see the words – PICK A CLINIC
This is the in-person portion of the clinic.